Over the past year, we’ve both explored so many resources for creativity, writing, learning, embodiment, storytelling, and healing. Here are some of our favorite books that would make great gifts for yourself or someone whose creative journey you’d like to support.
- Art Heals: How Creativity Cures the Soul, by Shaun McNiff (insights from art therapy)
- Place Your Thoughts Here: Meditation for the Creative Mind, Steven Saitzyk (meditation and the creative process)
- In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness, Peter Levine (embodiment, healing, and self-actualization)
- The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-than-human World, David Abram (relating with the phenomenal world via the sense perceptions)
- Expressive Writing: Words that Heal, James Pennebaker and John Evans (the healing benefits of writing)
- Are You My Mother?: A Comic Tragic, Alison Bechdel (graphic novel exploring primary relationships)
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Sherman Alexie (YA novel good for adults)
- The Re-Enactments, Nick Flynn (memoir about family, memory and self)
- The Situation and the Story: The Art of Personal Narrative, Vivian Gornick (guidance for writing memoir and personal essays)
- No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Daniel Siegel (positive parenting)
You can see that our titles cover a wide range of topics - we hope there’s something here to launch you into the new year with inspiration and joy.
-Melinda and Charlotte